"West of 9th"
A common way of describing a mostly black, poor, and crime-filled area in Louisville
Pictured above is one of the dozens of housing projects that populate the West End of Louisville, KY.
First, I understand that to say an entire part of town is racist doesn't really make sense. I would just like to point out how segregated Louisville still is demographically.
In Louisville the white population makes up about 63% of the cities total population, while the black population makes up just 33%. Nearly all of the concentrated black neighborhoods are in the West End, including Smoketown, whose population is around 81% black. The West End is known for being very poor and crime riddled.
When examining the overall poverty trends (according to neighborhood) nearly all of the areas which are most impoverished have a majority black population. When looking at the richest areas, most of them have mostly white populations. These facts simply supports the notion that the white people in Louisville tend to be better off financially than black people, which I find unsettling.

No comments:
Post a Comment